5. Earth is a terrestrial planet meaning it has these characteristics compared with Jovian planets:
- Smaller size and mass
- Higher density of rock and metal
- Solid surface
- Closer to the Sun
- Warmer surface
- Few moons
- No rings
4. Earth’s continents used to be one giant super-continent called Pangaea that existed around 200-300 million years ago.
3. Earth’s atmosphere is mainly nitrogen, followed by oxygen. So we breathe the second most abundant gas in our atmosphere.
2. If the Earth didn’t spin we would have nasty 200mph winds that blow from the tropics to the poles and back again. Our rotation, and the Coriolis effect, causes 3 convection cells per hemisphere that diverts air flowing north-south to east-west. Air is transported from hotter regions to cooler regions.
1. Earth’s atmosphere formed after the world was created. The 3 sources of our atmosphere are:
- surface ejection
We got our deposits of gases and liquids during the era of heavy bombardment during which asteroids and comets brought gases to Earth in frozen form. These were then deposited into the body of the planet.