5. Venus rotates in the opposite direction to Earth so the Sun rises in the west and sets in the east. It also rotates very slowly so its days and nights are very long.
4. The ‘no atmosphere’ temperature of Earth is 3 degrees Fahrenheit (-16 Celsius). Without the Greenhouse Effect our oceans would freeze over.
3. Saturn is light and fluffy enough that its density is less than 1 gram per cubic centimeter – the density of water. So Saturn would float if placed in water.
2. Jupiter’s coloured bands are different cloud systems. The white stripes are called zones and the brown stripes are called belts. The winds in zones go one way, winds in belts go the other way. When you see different colours on the Jovian planets you are actually seeing clouds at different heights.
1. Earth’s surface gets repaved every 100 million years. This is due to volcanism, tectonics and erosion. Large craters on Earth have been paved over.